Monday, April 25, 2005

Hubble

I'm a junkie for a lot of things. You could call me a political junkie, a sports junkie, a hot babe junkie, a religion junkie, or many other topical junkiness. For today though, I'm an astronomy junkie. I've always been fascinated by our galaxy, the night sky, and all things meteoriffic. The Hubble Space Telescope has been in orbit for fifteen years now. You likely recall all of the trouble that they had with it when they first put it into orbit, having to install what some people called glasses on it. Two beautiful images were released today celebrating the anniversary.




Those images are of the Whirlpool Galaxy and the Eagle Nebula. The level of detail that's been realized from the Hubble is simply incredible, far exceeding what I ever expected of it, which is the reason that I'm just a junkie, and not a scientist working on the project.

No comments: