Friday, March 13, 2009

Post script

Well, two days after the fact... I hope you folks who were at Wednesday evening services enjoyed the little back and forth that took place. I liked it, but as always, I feel like I needed to say a couple more things. In the end, both sides were well represented I think. No one mentioned anything afterward, which concerns me, because both of us couldn't have been so clear as to have everyone have a crystal understanding of what we were talking about.

I know how it is, not wanting to ask a question. I don't want to look like I don't know what I'm talking about. Its a pride or ego thing I guess. All people have the problem I suspect. Its easier for me to put on the ruse that I have a good grasp of things, so I don't ask. Then I have to go home and muddle my way through and hope I have the right understanding as my teacher was trying to impart.

Rarely does it actually happen that way though. In all of the sermons that you read being preached in the new testament, it only takes a maximum of fifteen minutes to cover every word. And that's the time it takes to read the Sermon on the Mount. Why were the sermons so short? I believe its because there was a very long period of questions and answers after the body of the lesson was taught to help the listeners come to a better understanding of what was said. We know that after teaching some of the parables, Jesus would take his apostles aside and lay out exactly what he was meaning. He was questioned many times by the Pharisees and Saducees, and even his own apostles. Its why we should never be afraid to ask someone to expound a little on what he's saying. There's a good chance that we would come away with a clearer understanding, and also we can teach the teacher by maybe getting him to see something that he hasn't seen before.

So ask away! It helps...

1 comment:

J said...

I wasn't there, but I just want to mention that in Catholic school, they were not so interested in having us ask questions. (Not that, ahem, some of us listened), but anyway... whole different experience. Your folks are lucky to have you.

Sincerely,

A Phishhead